Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Critical Analysis Unit

Because I chose to tackle the Critical/Textual Analysis unit first, I did not have my own sample draft prepared.  Even if I had managed to focus long enough to get it together in time, I don't imagine I would have used a sample version.  Between the copier crash and the struggle to readjust to a new semester, I found myself mostly giving direction on the board rather than on an overhead or by passing things out in class.

That being said, I did adopt a little more of a process this time around, and that helped my students understand the concept immensely better.  First of all, I divided the class in groups, having them pick their essay (one article per group, but each student writing his or her own essay, of course).  I asked them to work together to, first, summarize, and second, create a detailed outline.  This helped them to break the argument down into specific points and evidence.  Next, I asked them to work together in groups to write a practice analysis for one article that I picked.  Naturally, I carefully emphasize the differences between a summary, an opinion essay, and an analysis.  Because they worked together in class, they were better able to come to me with questions as they arose.  As such, when they wrote their own rough drafts, the drafts were almost all definitely on the right track--much different from last semester's experience.  

I'm proud of my students!

1 Comments:

At February 20, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Blogger Steve Rucker said...

That's nice to hear. I, too, did the textual analysis first. I felt that if I could spend more time on this assignment coupled with understanding what criticaly anlysis is and hammer out the kinks with MLA issues, then I would have addressed most of the concerns we have right away. I took my time in making sure they understand how to approach critical analysis and what are the different types of texts that they could analyze. I think this worked out great, because I felt that the remainder of the papers we teach afterwards have some form of critical analysis imbedded in them. If they could get that concept right away, the rest of the semester should be easier. So far, so good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home