Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I don't know how else to have handled this...

Midterms caused an uproar, particularly in my TTh class, the one that used to be so cooperative. Periodically, it was my fault for not filling something in, and I readily owned up to my mistake and fixed it. However, I have a select few that are severely challenging my authority. First of all, one student came to me with his paper, one that earned a strong 88%, a grade I consider high, and argued that it deserved an A. Now, I have no problem with a student coming to me to find out why it WASN'T an A and what they can do to improve it, but I found his attitude terribly presumptuous. Also, I added the annotated bibliography back into the papers' percentage, something that should actually work to their advantage if they bothered to turn in the work like I repeatedly asked them to do. Instead, I had two or three outright challenging whether or not I have any right to make changes to the syllabus. My syllabus. So I sent out this email in response (and possibly in my anger, I confess):

"I need to address some changes to the syllabus. As instructor of this course, like any other teacher or professor in this school, I have the freedom to change any part of the syllabus at any time, including how percentages fall. For example, I included the I-Search proposal and the annotated bibliography in the paper section, which, altogether, takes up 60% of the grade. For those who want me to justify it, I'm going to have to pull the dreaded "because I say so" card. This is the way it works best under these conditions for me as the instructor. Look, I encourage questions, but today I felt a bit challenged as far as my authority. I may barely be older than most of you (and younger than a couple), but I'm still the teacher. Let me just say, at the end of the semester, the percentages will add up almost exactly as they do in the syllabus, with a small change to the papers section. It's not worth getting worked up over. The fact of the matter is, if something was not turned in and you're worried about its affecting your grade, it would've affected it no matter what. The way I set it up actually makes it affect you less.

Please forgive me for being sharp about this, but in some of your approaches to me, I felt very disrespected today. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I imagine you didn't mean for it to come across that way, but I felt attacked at times. At this point, unless you have a specific issue, like missing points for something you turned in that can be verified, I ask that you let me do what I decide to do. I will always try to work things out in a way that most benefits you, but you have to trust my judgment. If that's a problem for you, maybe you should be taking this class with another instructor. Again, I apologize if that sounds snotty or impatient, but I've got limits. I mean no disrespect for any of you; I simply insist that you treat me with the appropriate authority for my position. I may be a graduate assistant, but as for this class, I am the instructor. Period.

This rant is not relevant to the majority of you, so I'm not trying to scold the whole class. However, I do feel that this is a message the whole class needs to hear in case this comes up again. "

A large chunk of the disrespect I sensed came through tone of voice, primarily, and secondarily from when I would explain, but the students kept pressing the issue. I think this may be a bit on the sharp side, but I wanted to be clear. Maybe I'm just not good with confrontation, but I didn't know how else to deal with it. Had I spoken at the time, knowing me, I would've cried (the slightest bit of anger with me, and I start crying if I try to talk).

I would appreciate feedback.

2 Comments:

At March 11, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Blogger Lanette Cadle said...

It helps to have a statement in the syllabus and at the top of the readings/assignment handout that says that you can and may change the assignments and/or schedule in order to fit classroom needs. I bet you did that though. Otherwise, never let them see ya sweat, and if possible, use humor to reduce tension in these situations. There will always be one or two students ready to challenge your authority "just because." Know though that most of your class realizes that you are in this to help them be the best writers they can be and also know that that they appreciate your efforts.

 
At April 2, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Blogger AMedievalMind said...

I have a disclaimer in my syllabus:"This list of dates is subject to change due to depression, world floods, alien abductions, earthquakes, riots, the Rapture, or the mere fact that I will just sometimes have a bad day and want someone to take it out on!" Now, most of this is of course intended to be funny, but I have told them from the get go that, ultimately, I am in charge. And I have actually addressed this in class a couple times when the tone of the students gets to be too recalcitrant. I almost wonder if this would be more of a gender issue. I would be curious to know how many males have this issue and how many female GTA's have this issue in comparison.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home